Protecting your privacy is very important to Sierra Acuity. Sierra Acuity recognises and respects your privacy. We are committed to and bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). This Privacy Statement details how we collect, hold, use and disclose all personal information provided to Sierra Acuity, whether by individuals with whom we do business, visitors to and users of our website or otherwise.
In this statement:
- ‘Personal information’ means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable: (a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and (b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
- ‘Sierra Acuity’, ‘we’ and ‘us’ means Sierra Acuity Pty Ltd (ABN 16 101 069 185) and all related or subsidiary companies.
Whose information we collect
Sierra Acuity collects personal information from a range of individuals in the context of its business activities, including:
- Representatives of our suppliers, customers, and business partners;
- Industry association representatives;
- Users of the Sierra Acuity website; and
- Job applicants
What information we collect
Sierra Acuity may collect a range of information in the context of doing business, such as your name, age, gender, photographic identification, email address, home address and other contact details, details of your other business and other interests, experience and/or academic or professional qualifications, communications with you, financial and payment information, and information collected from questionnaires and/or interviews.
Site visit data
When visiting our website, Sierra Acuity keeps a record of your visit. The following information may be collected for statistical purposes and may be used by Sierra Acuity to help improve our website:
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address.
- The previous site you visited.
- Your type of browser and operating system used.
- The pages you access and the documents you download.
Sierra Acuity will not attempt to identify users or their browsing activities; however, governmental agencies may be entitled to inspect such records in the event of an investigation.
How we collect and use information
Sierra Acuity uses information collected from you for business-related purposes, including negotiating, concluding and performing contracts, recruitment, conducting clearance procedures, managing accounts and records, communicating with you and third party contacts, supporting corporate social responsibility activities, legal, regulatory and internal investigations and debt administration.
We will keep copies of any information or emails you send or provide to us if we believe that we have a legal requirement to do so. The content of your emails may be monitored for quality control, system administration and legal compliance purposes.
Disclosure of information
As part of our privacy obligations to you, we will not disclose information without your consent, unless required or authorised by law.
In general, we will only use or disclose your personal information for the purposes for which you have disclosed it to us. However, we may also use or disclose your personal information where this is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to life, health or safety, or it is required or authorised by law.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the event that we sell, buy or merge any business or assets, including to the prospective buyer or seller of such business or assets.
Sierra Acuity operates globally, and we may share the personal information you submit to us with any entity within the Sierra Acuity group worldwide. Before doing so, we will endeavour to take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach the relevant APPs in relation to the information. These entities are required to maintain the confidentiality of this information and are restricted from using it for any purpose other than the purposes set out in this Privacy Statement.
Transfer of information to other countries
It may become necessary for us at some stage to disclose your personal information to an overseas recipient – for example, to a Sierra Acuity related entity or third party contractor based overseas in North America. Before doing so we will endeavour to take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach relevant APPs in relation to the information, or otherwise:
- Be reasonably satisfied that they are subject to a law or binding scheme that has the effect of protecting the information in a way that, overall, is at least substantially similar to the way in which the APPs protect the information and there are mechanisms you can access to take action to enforce that protection of the law or binding scheme;
- Obtain your consent to the disclosure (after informing you that the overseas recipient will or may not be required to comply with the APPs); or
- Be satisfied that the disclosure would not otherwise breach the APPs.
Keeping your personal information secure
The security of your personal information is important to us, and we take all reasonable precautions to safeguard it from loss, misuse, interference, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. It is important to be aware that generally, email is not a secure way to communicate and you should be aware of this when sending any personal information to us via email.
Links to other websites, and social media
Access to your personal information
You may request access to any of the personal information we hold about you. In most cases, a summary of your personal information will be freely available to you by contacting our Administration Officer (details below).
For more detailed requests for access to personal information (for example, access to information held in archives) a fee may be charged to cover the cost of retrieval and the supply of this information to you.
All requests for access to personal information will be handled as quickly as possible and we will endeavour to process any request for access within a reasonable period after the request is made. Some requests for information may take longer than usual to process depending upon the nature of the personal information being sought.
Please note we are not always required to provide you with access to your personal information on request. We may refuse you access to personal information in a number of circumstances, such as where:
- We reasonably believe that giving access would pose a serious threat to the life, health or safety of an individual, or to public health or public safety; or
- Giving access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other people; or
- Denying access is required or authorised by law; or
- The request for access is regarded as frivolous or vexatious; or
- The information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between Sierra Acuity and the individual, and would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings; or
- Giving access would reveal the intentions of Sierra Acuity in relation to negotiations with the individual in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations; or
- Both of the following apply:
- Sierra Acuity has reason to suspect that unlawful activity, or misconduct of a serious nature, that relates to Sierra Acuity’s functions or activities has been, is being or may be engaged in;
- Giving access would be likely to prejudice the taking of appropriate action in relation to the matter; or
- Giving access would be likely to prejudice one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body; or
- Giving access would reveal evaluative information regarding information generated within the entity in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process
If we deny your request for access to your personal information we will explain why.
Correction of your personal information
You may request that we correct any of the information we hold about you, to ensure that having regard to the purpose for which we hold it, the information is accurate, up to date complete, relevant and not misleading. If we refuse your request, we will tell you in writing why we have done so, as well as the mechanisms which are available to you to complain about our refusal and anything else of which we are required to inform you.
Requests for access or corrections
If you wish to access or correct your personal information please contact our Administration Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also telephone our Administration Officer on ph: 1800 850 563 from 9.00am – 5.00pm WST, Monday to Friday or by sending a letter to:
Sierra Acuity Pty Ltd
PO Box 4574
Myaree BC, Western Australia, 6960
If you believe that Sierra Acuity has not protected your personal information as set out in this Privacy Statement or has breached your privacy rights in any way, you may lodge a complaint with us by contacting our Administration Officer.
We will promptly provide written acknowledgement of receipt of the complaint, investigate it (and let you know if we require any further information from you in order to do so) and will endeavour to provide a substantive written response to the complaint within a reasonable time.
If you are not satisfied with the response to your request for access or correction or complaint you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by telephoning: 1300 363 992 (or + 61 2 9284 9749 if calling from outside Australia); by fax to: + 61 2 9284 9666; by emailing: email@example.com; or by writing to:
Director of Compliance
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney, New South Wales 2001
Acceptance of and changes to this Privacy Statement
You accept that your use of this website indicates your acceptance of the contents of this Privacy Statement.
Please note that the contents of this Privacy Statement may be updated from time to time. You should regularly check both this Privacy Statement to ensure that you have the latest version.
This Privacy Statement is the first version and was last updated on 18 December 2017.
All information ©2017 Sierra Acuity Pty Ltd